Followers

Friday, October 18, 2013

Picture Poems


My Picture Poems
B.S.M.Murty

One poet has defined poetry as a ‘speaking picture’. Another says: ‘Painting is silent poetry, poetry is eloquent painting’. Words in a poem only foreground the meaning, delineating in invisible lines and colours, images and metaphors, the soul of the poem. Photography, a close cousin of painting, is also a creative tool of discovering art in the ordinary. Where poetry suggests and painting invents, photography discovers. They employ similar techniques, though with different materials – words, pigments and light, to create art which communicates significant meaning.
There is much that poetry and photography share with each other. Every good poem is much more than the sum of its words, just as every good photograph is much more than what meets the eye. (Ansel Adams’ photographs can be enjoyed as the finest kind of poetry.) And occasionally, poetry and photography can together construct an interface, a kind of musical ‘jugalbndi’, creating through their parallelism a symphonic effect.One recent poem is given here; some others are down below.





 The Leaf

The Leaf
Look at me
I am only a leaf
Torn from my branch
Where I was born and blossomed
Where I played and sang
Fluttered in the gentle breeze
Now lying torn and lonely here
All alone and musing
For many days now
Days I have lost count, in fact
Here I lie on sodden coaltar
Since the rowdy wind rose
Howled and rattled, jarred and jolted
And tore me off with a single slap
From the topmost branch
Of this old and timeworn tree
Bringing in its wake
Cool monsoon showers
Riding piggyback merrily
Yes, the wind was rude and rowdy
It shook the branches wildly
Swaying them sideways
Upwards and downwards
Wickedly in every which way it will
Tearing at them, at us the leaves
Till we flew helter-skelter in the wind
And fell here on the bluehued coaltar
And then came the burly rain
With huge buckets of water
With grating rasping laughter
And with angry crazy booms
In the dark sparring clouds above
While suddenly, very stealthily
The wind slunk away
Quietly to where it had come from
And then the rain drizzled freely
And whispered and sang cheerily
Throughout the afternoon
Then again fitfully in the small hours
Of the night gone by
And left me in the morning
Totally soaked and shivering
When the sun rose to dry me up
And make me warm and cosy
In my loneliness and brooding,
Till you came and paused
To look at me.


No comments: